Do you know that out of every 10 people, at least eight suffer from depression of varying intensity?
We often think depression is simply a psychological state of mind where the brain cannot function properly. As a result, people feel Moody, sad, stressed, anxious, and so on. But depression is a much deeper concept than what we comprehend. It is not just a Psychological mind state that puts people in a situation where they cannot feel happy or enjoy themselves with their families and friends. Instead, it is a mental state where the person feels trapped inside a prison with no way out.
This is why depressed people often develop habits that no normal person can do. Whether attempting suicide or hurting their loved ones, people can do things that do not have any justification due to their depressed state of mind. Getting addicted to drugs is also a symbol of chronic depression in a person. Keeping this in mind, we will share the strong relationships between depression and drug addiction in several people.
Why do most depressed people end up becoming drug addicts?
- When people are depressed, they do not have clarity in their thoughts. So much going on in their mind that thinking rationally and practically becomes almost impossible for them. As a result, they get inclined towards taking drugs, and once they find euphoria, the habit transforms into an addiction.
- In a depressed state of mind, people look for any source of relaxation. It can be by sleeping for long hours with the help of sleeping tablets or smoking weed and marijuana combined for a psychotic high. Soon they become addicted to these habits, thereby doing more harm to themselves than any good.
- Almost 99% of people understand the grave consequences of drug addiction. Despite knowing people suffering from depression get addicted to drugs because they fail to understand the situation's dynamics and realize the consequences.
- People who go through various phases of depression, especially chronic depression, are not quite good at handling stress, anxiety, and such situations. So, the adrenaline pumping in their blood forces them to flee from the situation, and drug addiction provides them with the path.
- Another common relationship between depressed people and drug addiction can be explained through their actions. According to them, no one will care if they disappear suddenly, which is why they find solace in something else: drugs.
You will be surprised to know that most drug treatment programs in Delhi do take the depressed and anxious state of mind into consideration. At Ananda Care, we believe that depression and drug addiction are two phases of the same coin. Instead of treating them as separate diseases, we target alleviating depression to eliminate addictive behavior from our patients.
Older people, when depressed, take drugs. Is it true?
No, this statement has no truth because depression doesn't see a person's age. A teenage boy or girl can suffer from peer pressure, anxiety, and depression. So, they can easily get tempted by the drugs thinking that those components will provide temporary relief.
Why do rehab centers in India focus on treating depression first?
Whether it is to find solace or escape from their stressful life, depression can lead to addictive behavior, which is why most residential rehabilitation centers in Delhi treat this psychological problem first.
Will treating depression help overcome drug addiction?
Although there is no guarantee that in treating depression, the person will leave drugs completely, it is worth a try.