Addiction comes in various forms. Many things are tagged as bad habits. It ranges from the most common ones like drug and alcohol use, and gambling. Some people get addicted to shopping, gadgets, coffee, and video games. We don’t categorize these activities as bad ones but they can affect a person. Below are some of the identifiers to know if you are addicted to something.
- Anxiety – if the person is not taking or doing the activity that he/she is addicted to then the person experiences craving and anxiety. The person doesn’t feel normal and believes that he/she needs to perform the activity to feel normal. The person is irritable and feels helpless sometimes, especially if the addiction is to drugs.
- Unhealthy habits – a person who is addicted to something that neglects good eating and sleeping habit. This is true with a computer, video games, and internet addiction. But other kinds of addiction are not exempt from this sign. Weight loss is very common but weight gain is also true in the case of eating addiction.
- Behavior alterations – unpredictable behaviors are rampant when a person is addicted. A person who is addicted to alcohol is secretive about the amount of alcohol he/she drinks. Secrecy is also a behavior of a person addicted to computers or video games. Lying is common and unexplained disappearance is also frequent. It seems like there is nothing wrong with the person at the beginning of the addiction but the behavior starts to change as the addiction deepens.
- Damaging money management – money is involved in addiction as a person drains his savings in purchasing drugs/alcohol. The person can fall into a serious debt trap and if he/she is a teenager then he/she may steal from parents to support the addiction.
- Neglecting relationships – addiction demands time which leads a person to neglect his relationship. In drug addiction, fights with spouses, family members, friends, boss are highly possible. When this starts to happen, it is a sign that the addicted person’s family and relationship will suffer.
Addiction has the potential to destroy a person and his life. If a person is addicted to something, he/she needs help and it is difficult for him/her to recover on his/her own. If you are known to that person then your concern can help him/her. Support them and love them and convince them to get proper treatment for their addiction. You can get the best treatment for addiction at Ananda Care, in New Delhi.